Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 05:24 AM   #7023 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Oh btw jadis, I watched state of play. It was good and Kelly Macdonald and her accent are top tier. I think the last plot twist lacked a proper build-up so it seemed a bit unrealistic, but apart from that it's a well-constructed story. I always like watching journalism in action and especially the emotional entanglements between the characters were well done
You both have seen the original House of Cards, yes? The BBC one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Cracker is one of my favorites. Gritty, bleak and so so well executed. The pilot was directed by Michael Winterbottom, one of the great directors of the generation who (like Danny Boyle in Morse) got his start in crime dramas. The actors are some of the best in the business (stunning guest performances from Robert Carlyle and Adrian Dunbar in addition to the regulars), the writing is sharp, the protagonist/antagonist highly intelligent and demon-ridden. It’s perf.

I guess my problem with Coben is the Netflixy feel of the shows. As though it was produced by AI… he’s a Jersey guy and the shows are set in Britain and France, sans any local flavor. Whereas Morse could only be set in Oxford, Cracker is a deeply Mancunian affair etc. And the dialogue is not exactly worthy of Le Carré (my gold standard is TTSS with Alec Guinness)
Yeah this may be where we differ. I watched one episode of Morse and it didn't do it for me, at all. I watched Frost and was an instant fan. I found Cracker just drove me mad. Really wanted to like it, after all I had heard about it, but ended up hating it. Life's too short to try to get into TV that doesn't speak to you from episode one or at least two.
Quote:
You’re spot on about the centrality of reporting, I think in that it’s the Blair era update of All The President’s Men. The twist we’ll agree to disagree on, I bought it hook line and sinker! Knew you would love KM! For me the milf wife is the eye candy. What a performance from Bill Nighy as the editor!

Wasn’t crazy about the first season, I thought even Scully looked a bit bored…
FYI Kelly is also in a Black Mirror ep I just watched, season three episode called "Hated in the Nation". Just sayin'. Have you seen her in The Victim? A powerhouse performance, recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_collector View Post
My kids have commandeered the TV for the most part. The last show I was subjected to was Fireman Sam.

I've been on a documentary kick of late. The last series I watched was Trial 4 on Netflix.

AP Bio is a funny series. It feels like a spinoff of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which certainly isn't a bad thing.
Just watched Mr. Men last night! MIS-TER BUMP! MIS-TER BUMP!
Nothing wrong with kids' TV.