Music Banter - View Single Post - POLL: The Smiths vs. R.E.M?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 05:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
1. You just said you hated the Smiths cause of their fans so you just told a lie.

2. What non-leftists have real world experience and love of the unions that you support?

Tbh I think the answer to both of these questions is that you're lying about your issues with either group and you're just whining about kids you don't like.

Er, last I checked, both bands were kind of to the left.

Anyway, while I truly like the Smiths and even some of Morrissey, how can I go against the band I rate second only to the Beatles? No, they aren't perfect (Green and Out of Time are, for the most part, REM in commercial mode, I mean Shiny Happy People, really?) but Murmur and Reckoning alone puts them above the Smiths' output during the same general period. Then add classic albums like Document and Automatic For the People along with classic gems like Fall On Me and Losing My Religion and you have to ask, how can you possibly rate Morrissey over Michael Stipe? Even after Bill Berry left the band, while I can't single out any particular album, I can definitely point out gems like the Great Beyond, leaving New York (though, I'll admit that will probably put Elph to sleep- sweet dreams), and Man-Sized Wreath. Needless to say, I'm a big REM fan.

And anyway, REM is sure less depressing.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote