Music Banter - View Single Post - I freaking love vinyl
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2022, 12:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah but I don't think the albums they're selling today on vinyl are digital masters. That's my point. Mind you, I could be wrong, but if so, they're sure not trumpeting about it on the record cover.
I feel like we're miscommuicating. What I tried to say is that vinyls have vinyl masters and digital formats have digital masters. At least that's how it should be.

Hence, there is a discernible difference between a song if you play it on a vinyl vs. listening to it on a streaming service. F.ex it's probably gonna have less low end on vinyl. Some prefer vinyl masters, but I don't.

I'm just replying to your post here in which you seem to think there's no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
This is exactly my point. It's not like it's re-recorded, remastered or improved for vinyl listening, at least so far as I know. What you get today on a vinyl album is likely to be either what you would have got in my day (70s/80s) on an album or what you can get today on CD. Other than aesthetics, or if you're a collector, it makes no sense at all to shell out all that extra money and get nothing that you wouldn't get, sonically or musically, with a CD.
Vinyl releases are (re)mastered for their particular format, making this statement wrong.