Music Banter - View Single Post - Pixies
Thread: Pixies
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #438 (permalink)
Vetiver
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD View Post
I definitely rate those. "Break my Body", "River Euphrates" and "Vamos" would be among the other highlights for me.
Yeah, I can still enjoy them for what they are, but I've long learnt to be harsh when retaining prime cuts from albums I don't want to keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD View Post
Interesting. Not trying to get too far off-topic, but which one out of Just for a Day or Pygmalion is more preferable to you? I definitely think JFOD is an underrated album, and Pygmalion is great, but just so different from their earlier output that it's hard to make a comparison.
My favourite is Just for a Day. IMHO, it is the best shoegazing album of all time.

Souvlaki was the sign of a band losing their confidence and pandering towards the flakiness of Alan McGee, who heavily criticised the original demos. Sonically, I found the dynamics on this album to be flat, in comparison to Just for a Day. Even the Brian Eno collaboration is lame.

Pygmalion is good in parts but it sounds unfinished and lacks focus. I think the demo bootleg from this period is far superior.

With that said, Just for a Day and The Pygmalion Demos are the only Slowdive albums I consider worth owning. As for the monstrosity that is the 2017 comeback album, don't get me started on that...
Vetiver is offline   Reply With Quote