Music Banter - View Single Post - The Contingency Plan/Exit Strategy
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 08:14 AM   #107 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

That's fair and not unexpected as it's not the first time it's been brought up.

I've kinda thought of MB as a sinking ship, albeit one that sinks extremely slowly.

I've wanted for MB to perhaps expand outside the confines of this forum and/or to have more going-ons like compilations, maybe competitions, meet-ups, etc. Things that create engagement and togetherness. But it's not exactly a great place for that kind of thing, even less now that I do most of my MBing from my phone. I find the lack of mobile screen optimization a little frustrating.

Judging by this current round of responses, I may be speaking only for myself, but the current state of affairs makes me less motivated to spend time, invest / engage with MB. I believe the site, on average over time, turns people away more than it turns people on. I think not doing anything is letting it die, like Marie says. If I was to spend my time trying to improve things on MB, well.. the current environment would work to kill any such motivation. You'd get no help from above and, of course, I find it a bit disappointing that there's not more ambition in general about this stuff in the community.

I might try a new appeal to the current owners myself about upgrading vbulletin at least. Maybe the new Yac can be reasoned with?

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Absolutely times two for the bits in bold. One huge advantage of the "wait and see" tactic is that, as TH has already been farsighted enough to give us an escape route in thecraic, we can all kick back and carry on as previously. Thanks, TH.
I understand, but when the time comes to move to The Craic, who will be left? It'll be the forgotten, dying refuge of a forgotten and dying community.