Music Banter - View Single Post - The Contingency Plan/Exit Strategy
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #123 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I bloody hate writing on my phone, including texts and whatsapps.

I'm a millennial and I can't stand typing on my phone. Granted, I'm in the tech industry, so I'm accustomed to a keyboard, but I can't fathom how so many of my generation are perfectly comfortable with it. There's not enough haptic feedback to be a true replacement for a keyboard. I actually use Google Messages as my SMS app so that I can use the web version of it on my computer to send texts with a keyboard.

I think the discussion overall we're having here is a productive one and one that we probably should've had properly a while ago, and once again Trolls, I just wanted to extend my appreciation for all the work you've done in getting a replacement set up. Even if we don't use it any time soon (or at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments and I do agree with all of you to a great extent. Apologies if my post seemed overly negative (this is why I don't banter much, because I'm not very good at bantering!). I actually have mixed emotions about this whole discussion. My point was that there was quite a corrosive atmosphere here for many years - and I think once that problem took root and was allowed to fester for so long, members bolted and we became the much smaller community existing here today.
You're too nice! You've got nothing to apologize for. Your point is a valid one. Toxicity and spitefulness will drive some new (and old) members away, to some degree. In the early days of the internet (think late '90s), people would communicate crassly and often times vulgarly. There were much fewer rules than there are now. To that extent, we carry on the tradition in some ways here. Other parts of the internet are more strict in their moderation approach, some subreddits even having rules about not being mean to people.

If every member on here was as nice as you, we'd certainly be a more welcoming place, no question about it. But on the other hand, a little antagonism now and then livens this place up and even if emotions get involved, it sometimes results in a more productive or interesting discussion. I guess there's a balance and a trade-off with it, ya know? I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't want our moderators to crack down on members being mean to each other - at least not with passing snide remarks you know? If it got to the point where it was sustained and continuous targeting of a member, that would be another story. I think I'm rambling a bit now, so I'll just leave it there.

EDIT: As others have noted, Marie interjecting in threads that are getting heated/personal with "Don't be a dick" and not outright threatening to ban people is probably a good balance, and that's we seem to be at now.

Last edited by SGR; 07-17-2022 at 12:43 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote