Music Banter - View Single Post - The Contingency Plan/Exit Strategy
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #129 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
You're too nice! You've got nothing to apologize for. Your point is a valid one. Toxicity and spitefulness will drive some new (and old) members away, to some degree. In the early days of the internet (think late '90s), people would communicate crassly and often times vulgarly. There were much fewer rules than there are now. To that extent, we carry on the tradition in some ways here. Other parts of the internet are more strict in their moderation approach, some subreddits even having rules about not being mean to people.

If every member on here was as nice as you, we'd certainly be a more welcoming place, no question about it. But on the other hand, a little antagonism now and then livens this place up and even if emotions get involved, it sometimes results in a more productive or interesting discussion. I guess there's a balance and a trade-off with it, ya know? I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't want our moderators to crack down on members being mean to each other - at least not with passing snide remarks you know? If it got to the point where it was sustained and continuous targeting of a member, that would be another story. I think I'm rambling a bit now, so I'll just leave it there.

EDIT: As others have noted, Marie interjecting in threads that are getting heated/personal with "Don't be a dick" and not outright threatening to ban people is probably a good balance, and that's we seem to be at now.
I agree entirely with this. And I'm glad you bring these things up, ribbons, that's a good thing to do. I think we all just try to find the balance by gauging what each member likes and what they can handle, at least that's how I moderate and I notice that's how others post too. So that's why talk between Charles and jwb would be less heavily moderated than interactions with naive new people, for instance. But if new people notice the rougher interactions between others some of them may still be put off. (And of course if I ever make a mistake in what someone is comfortable with then please tell me)

also, I do think it's possible to make snide remarks or be impolite now and then without being toxic, so the former is no excuse for the latter. A line should be drawn between the two and it's good when people point out when they feel that it gets crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.

Last edited by Marie Monday; 07-17-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote