Music Banter - View Single Post - Stranger in Town: Trollheart's History of Country Music
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2022, 02:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

STOP THEM PRESSES, Y'HEAR?
Yes, it's technically old news, but I only found out a few days ago that one of my favourite icons of country music had passed away, and so, as I did mention at the beginning I would be exploring various artists, and as I now wish to write a lengthy tribute to the woman who first provided an open gate into country music through which I could walk and look around and explore, I will be stepping away from the history timeline in the coming weeks, to concentrate on her story.

Nanci Griffith (1953 - 2021)

I'll be reviewing her entire discography, finding out all I can about her and giving the best and most complete picture of a woman who, while perhaps not perceived as being at the same level as legends such as Dolly Parton and Crystal Gayle, nevertheless was a huge star in the scene, lived her life for music and helped, perhaps, in some small way, to nudge it back towards its folk-based roots.

This will not be something I'll be rushing, as to do so would, I believe, do a disservice to this quiet star of the country firmament, but once I have enough written I will begin posting it. When I do, they will be consecutive posts, as I don't want to break this up, so for a while the history will be placed on the back burner, but we will of course get back to it. I just feel that I need to do this right, I need to do it now, and I need to do it in a way which for me allows me to pay my proper respects to a woman who gave over thirty years to country music, and left it, I feel, better before she departed.

For now, we return you to your regular programme, already in progress.