Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 07:28 AM   #540 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

MASSIVE ATTACK- PROTECTION

I do have some familiarity with massive Attack as I heard, and liked, Blue Lines. So, I had some pretty high expectations for this album.

So, anyway, it starts off with the soulful title track. It seems like anything they do involving Tracy Thorn is a must listen and this is no exception. Karmacoma is the big hit from the album (I think anyway- I am American after all ) and I can see the commercial attraction to it. Tricky does his usual stellar Trip hop rap as usual.

We’re back to the female vocals on Three, this time with Nicolette Suwoton. A bit of an African influence, also very quiet in its own way. Nice track. The album continues smoothly with the instrumental, Weather Storm, and the Horace Andy led Spying Glass.

Tracy Thorn is back on Better Things as Tricky is on Eurochild. I especially like Eurochild with it’s funky beat. Sly (Nicolette Suwoton) starts off with the too often used Em/C cadence but you have to love Suwoton’s vocals.

Protection finishes off with another decent instrumental, then with a live cover of Light My Fire. The last track is the only one I can really quarrel with as I wonder if a live cover was absolutely necessary.

Still, I really like the album overall. I honestly would probably rate Blue Lines just a little better (Safe From Harm and Unfinished Sympathy are absolute classics), but this album certainly rates up there with the best of them.

And I hope they used Nicolette Suwoton some more.

8.5/10 (The Word has spoken )
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote