Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 01:24 PM   #552 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Protection - Massive Attack

The time flies! I had not realised there were only two days left before the next album comes due. Damn it. Too much work, not enough time. Okay here goes.

The title track which opens the album I love; what is it they call this again? Trip-hop? Very atmospheric, really enjoyed that one. Great feel to it, nice and laid back and relaxed. Can't say the same about the next one, "Karmacoma" which is kind of like Waits doing a rap or something. I'm not mad about the male vocal, and there's kind of no real music other than the percussion and bass, with a keyboard riff every now and then. Not a fan of this at all. Followed by the return of the female vocal, which I far prefer, on "Three". Whoever is chanting "work work work" or whatever in the background is going to get a slap in a minute: very annoying. This song is not as good as the opener, which is something of a concern. Was the first one the exception to the rule? Guess we'll see.

Well the piano on "Weather Storm" is just lovely, and the bass complements it really well; I wonder is it an instrumental? If not, it's a pretty long intro. Yeah I'd be surprised if there were vocals now. Sort of a strings thing going too, maybe on synth. Really adds to the sumptuous feel of the track. Very nice. Oh. Cut off abruptly. Damn. Don't know if that is the YT playlist or if it's meant to go off like that? Annoying if the latter. I was enjoying that. Kind of a reggae feel to "Spying Glass", can't honestly say I like it. More of those, what do they call them, the fractured sort of vocals, like you get with James Blake? Glitched? Whatever, they're annoying. Hmm. That's three times in five tracks I've had to use that word. This is not encouraging.

"Better Things" is sort of reggae in rhythm too, but far more polished and laid back than the previous track. Mind you, that cut off suddenly too. I'm going to assume it's the playlist. Back to rap, a slow one on "Eurochild", sort of puts me in mind (with my almost complete lack of experience in hip-hop/rap) of "Gangsta's Paradise" (RIP Coolio), keeps things trip-hoppy (?) nice and laconic and smooth. The scratching adds something to the track, which has a kind of ominous atmosphere. Back with the female vocal for "Sly", which has a nice sort of seventies soul feel in the synths, and I love the slow percussion - oh wait, that descending synth riff, that's from "Riders on the Storm", innit? Knew I recognised it.

That leaves one original track, and "Heat Miser" is again slow with a rippling piano reminding me of Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" (or, if you prefer, the music from The Exorcist) with heavier percussion and a feeling this may be another instrumental? Maybe? Yeah it is. Then for no reason there's a live version of "Light My Fire", in which I have no interest.

Overall I'd say this album has its flaws, but the good tracks outweigh the bad.
Rating: 7.7/10