Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Chart Fifty
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Good luck with this thread, TH. I'm intrigued by your plan to look at a rather random collection of pop singles, and your process has already thrown up a small gem, imo - and that is the video for "Little Talks". The style of the video is a nice balance between strange and mildly amusing, with it's touch of old-style animated figures. When I open a thread called Ephemera Better Than You Expected, I'm going to steal your clip for my OP.

Pop charts the way they used to be:
In Britain, there was just one weekly best-selling singles chart from the record industry. That one chart was accepted as definitive and used by every media source and pop tv program; the simply-calculated rankings were never doubted. But today things are more diverse aren't they? Popularity on Spotify, downloads, singles bought, YouTube hits - so I'm curious about what charts you're using, TH, and how (inter)national they may be.
Hi Lisna. This came about when I was doing my "Memory Lane" thread. I came across this link Official Charts which describes itself thus: The Official UK Top 40 chart is compiled by the Official Charts Company, based on official sales of sales of downloads, CD, vinyl, audio streams and video streams. The Top 40 is broadcast on BBC Radio 1 and MTV, the full Top 100 is published exclusively on OfficialCharts.com.

Once I realised I could select any year, any week and see the full chart for that week, I thought this would be a cool thing to do. Also gives me a chance to listen to current chart music, something I haven't done since I had no choice and that was all I had access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Since you didn't have the guts to go back sixty years, here are the number one and number 33 songs for November 3, 1962 respectively...

1. The Crystals- He's a Rebel. Phil Spector really exploded onto the scene with this gem. Pity he was a violent loony.

33. Roy Orbison- Working For the Man- This Roy Orbison classic actually peaks here. Guess they didn't like his rockers so much, not until Oh Pretty Woman anyway.
I knew you'd be on about the sixties. But you see, I don't like the sixties and I hate the fifties, and anyway it's not called "Trollheart's Chart Sixty or Seventy"...