Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Chart Fifty
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 05:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And finally, completing our first fifty-year journey back through the charts, what was at number 33 half a century ago (feel really old now!) on this week in 1972?

Title: “Mama Weer All Crazee Now”
Artist: Slade
Nationality: English
Genre: Rock
Written by: Noddy Holder, Jim Lea
Original release date: August 25 1972
Highest chart position: 1
Progress, if any, at that time: Descending
From the album: Slayed?
What do I know about this artist? Ah, Slade! They may not have been the greatest band but they sure were honest, and who doesn’t know “Merry Christmas Everybody”, by which the band have attained immortality and everyone knows Noddy’s joyous yell “It’s CHRISSSSSSST-MAAAAASSS!” But back in the day Slade were the original “bovver boys” (bovver being a phonetic way to write bother, meaning they were trouble) and did in fact attract the feared skinhead crowd. They certainly had a mass of hits, six of which went to the top and seventeen of which were top twenty singles, and are fondly remembered by many rock artists as an influence.
What do I think of this single? Ah it’s Slade, it’s mad, it’s basic, it’s honest, it’s fun. How can you not like it! Good old seventies. As was said of probably many bands, we shall not see their like again.
What have I learned about this single? It was Slade’s first number one, quickly followed by the classic “Cum On Feel the Noize” (no I don’t know why they wrote everything phonetically like that; maybe they were afraid their fans couldn’t spell? Probably a marketing ploy though) and started their idea of writing the audience into the songs by providing lines they could sing along with at the concerts. Originally supposed to have been titled “My, My, Weer All Crazee Now”, it was changed when, at a listening session, the producer thought he heard “Mama” and Noddy and the lads thought, much better. And so a legend was born.
My rating: A+++