Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #254 (permalink)
Key

Default Mario Kart 64 - November 64 - Nov 24th 2022

Mario Kart 64

As is per usual with pretty much any Mario Kart, there's not really a whole lot to say that would cause me to lean either way as far as what I think about this game. Or this series of games in general. They're great racing games with a lot of variety on characters and items, and Mario Kart 64 is certainly no exception when it comes to this. While not having nearly as many character to choose from, evidently as it's on an older system, it still manages to capture what is necessary to make a great racing game and a Mario racing game at that.

I do have many fond memories of playing Mario Kart 64 and at times getting frustrated with either the controls or the races themselves but it was still good fun at the end of the day. I don't really go out of my way most times to play racing games, but Mario Kart has always been the exception as it's always brought something different and unique to the formula that always makes it fun. In this particular game, you can choose to be characters like Mario and Luigi, Toad and Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, pretty much the whole gang. In later iterations of the series this list expanded tremendously, for good cause. But, you have a total of 8 to choose from in this one. Levels are what you'd also expect them to be, excellent. Especially for the time that this game came out, it was pretty remarkable what some levels managed to capture, especially with graphical limitations. One of my favorites has always been the Bowser castle tracks:

Spoiler for video:

Also the music, throughout the game, but also specifically Bowser castle, is of course excellent:

I would also like to point out that while we do have other racing games on the console like Wipeout 64 and Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64 still stands out on its own, much like the other two mentioned do, respectively. OF course, that could be due to the fact that it's Mario so of course it's going to, and meant, to stand out. But it's also a fun game to play so that also helps.

I also remember Mario Kart 64 having some great game modes, some of which are some of my favorites in the series altogether. Doesn't hurt that once again, I was able to play the multiplayer with people that also had fun with it, so it wasn't usually frustrating to play them, as the game made it fun.

Spoiler for video:

obvs not me, this is just to put an example to what i mean with game modes and multiplayer

All there really is to say is that I remember having good times playing Mario Kart 64, and while there have been much iterations made since then, it could still be fun for a nostalgic rush to go back and play Mario Kart 64, but there are certainly much better versions to play, and definitely makes it harder to argue that this one in particular is worth going back to. Other than of course the nostalgic rush that I mentioned.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote