Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Chart Fifty
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And forty years back, in 1982, this was on top.

Title: “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?”
Artist: Culture Club
Nationality: English
Genre: New Wave/Blue-Eyed Soul/Reggae
Written by: Roy Hay, Boy George, Mikey Craig, Jon Moss
Original release date: September 6 1982
Progress to the top: Entering the chart at 66 on September 18, it moved a massive chunk the next week, hanging just outside the top 30 and the next week another huge jump to 15. After an appearance on Top of the Pops it leaped into the top three, getting to number two the next week and then number one, where it spent three weeks before slowly falling back down the chart.
Weeks spent at number one: 3
From the album: Kissing to Be Clever
What do I know about this artist? I don’t know all that much about Culture Club, other than what I saw on the telly (and sneered at, and kind of still do to some extent) but I watched Boy George on the TV show The Apprentice and he was very engaging.
What do I think of this single? Never really liked it, or them. It’s a sort of bump’n’grind ballad with a somewhat annoying sense of reggae in it.
What have I learned about this single? Not much. It was their third single, the first two having failed to chart, and said to have been their last chance to get a record deal. Of course, after this it was all roses for the band as they took the eighties by storm.
My rating: B+