Music Banter - View Single Post - Suggestion: A reduced number of forums
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2023, 10:42 PM   #96 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
I think a problem with dead subforums is they kinda tell you you're probably not gonna get much response to whatever it is you write in there, so it's an incentive killer. It indicates the lack of interest and placement in a forgotten place won't help your thread get noticed. Also, as someone who listens to a variety of music, I don't mind discussing artists from different genres in the same forum. If it's too active so that things get buried, sure that can be a problem, but it's one you can then deal with when (and if) it becomes relevant.

Also it is possible to curate threads or, if we could update MB and expand on its functionality, perhaps use tags or other ways to sort things besides keeping these genre oubliettes gathering dust.

It was nice back in the day when it felt like MB was in a little way made up of smaller communities, like we had our prog lovers gang and kinda ran the prog subforum for a while. But that's a lot of members ago and MB isn't like that anymore.
I agree with the incentive killer bit personally. I posted a couple of songs in the spam thread recently and on the first one I said straight up the reason I'm not posting this in like the world music section or whatever the **** is because the place is a ****ing graveyard. Even the hip hop section is worthless. You could honestly probably get rid of all the non rock oriented music forums or at least lump them into one forum.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote