Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 08:00 PM   #598 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

16 Horsepower - Sackcloth 'N' Ashes (1996)

Country tinged alt-rock about shooting down that coffee boilin’ chiseler at the whiskey bar who did you dirty. A hog-killin good time!…right? Let us yarn the hours away:

Woozy guitar and meditative drumbeats introduce a singer who sounds like he’s doing his best Brett Anderson impression. Song’s about something like a western standoff - or grudge - I’m not entirely sure. It sounds cool though. The persistent pluck of “Black Soul Choir” is somewhat hypnotizing - a song about the nature of man and the temptation of the devil. Yeah, this one hits pretty good. And the sound established in the first two tracks continues.

“Horse Head” takes a bit of a slower more deliberate approach - it sounds a fair bit more taciturn and melancholic. Lyrics are uh - I don’t like this guy and want him dead? I think? Eh. Music is okay though.

And with the fifth track “Ruthie Lingle”, I start to lose a little bit of interest. Here comes the banjos and sprinkles of cello again. The music is arranged just fine, but at this point I’m just starting to get a little bored of the sound.

But have no fear, “Harm’s Way” introduces an accordion. Fairly enjoyable stuff - I think the bass and percussion really carry this tune and that accordion just livens things up.

“Heel On the Shovel” musically really perks your ears up - with its spritely guitar riffs and peppy percussion. Yeah, this is a great tune, I’ll let the lyrics set the scene. Death has already been administered, at this point, we’re just providing justification:

I'm diggin' you a shallow grave
An to the sun your face i'll raise
I'm diggin' you a shallow grave
One hundred buzzards buzzin'

I seen death hangin' from the tallest tree
Eyes closed no lookin' back at me
Ye they came an took him in the night
The one who kissed em was greed

O everyone will see
An everyone will know
Boy you reap what you sow

The teeth-grinding accordion swing of “American Wheeze” is a nice follow up in terms of mood. And “Red Neck Reel” is at least a fun little romp of an excursion. “Prison Shoe Romp” is a bit of a dirge with a strange echoed vocal effect.

“Neck on the New Blade” brings back the accordion again to great success - I kinda wish they included the accordion on more of these tracks. Based on the lyrics, no clue what the song is about. Some girl he knew, and you've never had a girl I guess - because of metal and red in your overcast head?? Ah, whatever, I like it musically.

Album finishes off with “Strong Man” - musically, it’s more of what we’ve already heard. Lyrically, it sounds like the witch hunt is over, and we’ve found our last evil-doer, and with his hanging, justice has finally been served. Right when you think it ends, it explodes for a bit in a crescendo - a nice ending.

Overall, I think this is an interesting record - if you like 90s alt rock and fancy a bit of country, I think it’s worth a listen for sure. Personally, I found the sound to get a bit tiresome and old. There’s not much in the realm of textural dynamics or variation. Once you’re about halfway through the record, you’ve heard everything the record has to offer. The Brett Anderson-esque crooning vocals fit, but they tire in similar ways. I wish there was a bit more accordion. But I think listening to this, I kind of find myself yearning for a similar sound with a bit more punch, something more cowpunk, something with a bit more bite, something like The Gun Club:

That said, an interesting record that’s worth listening to but probably not one I’d find myself returning to very often. Regardless - I didn't come away from it without a fair few number of enjoyable moments.

6/10

Last edited by SGR; 01-11-2023 at 08:48 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote