Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Indie consumerist bullsh*t?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 02:26 PM   #78 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
That's more like it!!

Thanks for posting some properly good R.E.M. songs. I'll prob check out some more, but on first listen these were the ones I liked best:

^ That makes an unusually trilogy of "most owned" records, SGR! Very interesting.
I can only do mine from memory as I no longer have them, but when I was an LP buyer, I had (clear winner) John Fahey, then Dylan, then runners-up prob Beefheart or Allman Bros.
Yeah, i suppose it is. It doesn't necessarily mean I'd put REM in my top 3 bands or anything, they've just got a lot of records and I like them enough to buy most of them. The gentle melodies of Buck, Stipe, and Mills were a constant companion through my mid to late teen years, so REM will always have a special place in my heart.

Speaking of REM, I somehow forgot to include this tune, which is on the same record as "E-Bow the Letter" - great stuff:

On the topic of Beefheart, what's your favorite record from his discography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
This is topic-adjacent, but how did weed come to be called chronic?
If memory serves, it was Dre's first album 'The Chronic' that popularized that slang - I think it was Snoop (or maybe Dre) that misheard 'hydroponic weed' as 'hydrochronic weed'. Or maybe someone who they were smoking with was high and mispronounced it - but anyways, they adopted 'chronic' as a shorthand for that weed and well, I'm sure you can guess the rest of the story, given how well Dre's debut sold.

Last edited by SGR; 01-28-2023 at 02:34 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote