Music Banter - View Single Post - A Walk Down Memory Lane with Trollheart
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 08:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: “It Must Be Love”
Artist: Madness
Year: 1981
Writer(s): Labi Siffre
Genre: Ska/ Pop ballad
Highest chart position (if applicable) 4 (UK) 33 (US)
Album: n/a
Did I own it? No
Album, single, both or neither? Neither
Opinion then: Negative
Opinion now: Negative
These days: Still used in ads; I saw it in one for I think NatWest Bank? Probably one of their most enduring songs

Again, no fan of Madness. Never was, still am not. I never got the whole ska thing, and I did believe that coming from “the islands” as it were, it was more a black thing, but Madness was mostly made up of white dudes, in suits, so what was the deal? Well, a debate for another time perhaps. I have to admit, mostly it was the lyric I took issue with - “Nothing more, nothing less, love is the best” - I mean, come on! But now I learn it wasn’t them that wrote it, but South African Labi Siffre, whose “(Something Inside) So Strong” is a wonderful anthem to human endurance and perseverance. Nevertheless, I don’t give him a pass because of that. I really thought this was an awful, cheap, lazy song and I have not changed my mind about that.

I’m prepared to admit a few Madness songs were okay (NOT “Baggy ****ing Trousers”, nor “House of Fun”, but “Our House” is decent I suppose, and I can stand “The Sun and the Rain” without vomiting blood) but I will never be a fan. I don’t like them, and it’s just that simple. This song was not, for me, their finest hour. But what do I know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmezIIrFQmY