Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes or No? Tales from Trollographic Oceans
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 07:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
Queen Boo
From beyooond the graaave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Well now, every band writes music for themselves first, and hope the fans enjoy it, but if we're going to compare the two: Genesis mostly wrote their songs as group efforts; there were few if any instrumentals and the only instance I can see that you could point to someone "showing off", as I said Yes do a lot, would be maybe Hackett on "Horizons", and even then it's a beautifully understated little piece. No member of Genesis, that song excepted, wrote a song or piece that was specifically for and about them, as Yes seem to do. And I can sing every single Genesis song (with the exception of much off FGTR) whereas I can sing only those four albums from Yes, as mentioned.
Genesis are less flashy than other prog bands yeah but they still liked their extended instrumentals, especially on Selling England which just happens to be my favorite album of theirs.

I also wouldn't say one member of Genesis never dominates, I consider Genesis to be Tony Banks's band first and foremost, not only because he was the primary composer but because his keyboard playing dominates a lot of their songs, there's a lot of songs especially on Lamb (which I still love) where Hackett doesn't seem to have much of a presence, his reduced role in the band contributed a lot to his departure.

As for Yes yeah The Yes Album does feel like the Steve Howe show sometimes, but Fragile and Close to the Edge strike a perfect balance when it comes to the contributions of all the band members.

Quote:
Yes do show off: it's not just me who thinks this. This is the sort of beginning of the, not quite pointless but often unnecessary wankery that led to blots on the soundscape like Dream Theater and even to some extent Spock's Beard and maybe Riverside. You have to take it all with the caveat that I don't like, and know I don't like, early Yes, so the argument/debate is probably pointless and one on which we'll each score points but never come to an agreement. Nevertheless, I stand by everything I've said here. If something impresses me that I had not heard before on one of these albums I will say it; I'm not going to be so pig-headed as to say no I still hate it if I don't, but I find it hard to see my mind being changed at this point.
Of course Yes show off, I never said they didn't, I can't even deny they show off more than a lot of the other big name prog bands, but they had the hooks to back it up, where as a band like Dream Theater doesn't as far as I'm concerned, it's not Yes's fault Dream Theater sucks lol.

But yeah it's all subjective, either it clicks with you or it doesn't and it can be hard to explain why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
A whole bunch of stupid sh*t that I regret

Last edited by Queen Boo; 02-16-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Queen Boo is offline   Reply With Quote