Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes or No? Tales from Trollographic Oceans
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 07:12 PM   #68 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

That's fair comment. I was in fact responding to DYCDTTS not yourself. I would agree Banks dominated a lot of the Genesis material, but I still feel he never took over on any solo material on the band. The intro to "Firth of Fifth" is of course all him, but then he gives room to the others to flex their muscles. I guess "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats" is all him, but again it's part of the overall soundtrack laid down by Gabriel. I just don't get the same idea of someone saying "I want to show how cool I am with this" in Genesis as seems to come across in Yes. Much of what I've heard so far seems like it could have just been left off and they could have concentrated on writing a few more collaborative songs.

But as you say, it's all relative and subjective. There's no way I'm letting anyone call Genesis prog lite though without a bloody and bitter fight to the end (or till one of us squeals anyway). I don't expect to have any great revelations any time soon - I know I'll still shrug at Close to the Edge - but we'll see after that. It won't bother me. I'm happy for Yes to have their place in prog history, and undoubtedly the genre benefitted from their presence, and they deserve all their plaudits. But they just don't do it for me. Not yet, anyway.