Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Album Club 2022
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 08:49 AM   #691 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Almost forgot, Lisna, sorry.

CONCRETE BLONDE- CONCRETE BLONDE

I was torn as to which album to pick for my turn. I ended up going with this one because of one song mainly, Still in Hollywood to me rates as one of the underrated punk anthems.

And it makes sense too as Concrete Blonde came out of the LA Punk scene, albeit a little late (the debut album is from late 1986). It’s not a perfect album to be sure. Except for a solid George Harrison cover, I don’t see why side two is necessary.

But side one is as good as any album side I’ve listened to. It starts out with the jangly True, my other favorite track on the album. Dance Along the Edge probably got the most radio airplay since Still in Hollywood features a naughty word (tsk, tsk.). That too is one of the more solid tracks.

I’d like to say that Concrete Blonde is one of the great punk albums but, alas, only Still in Hollywood rates as a punk song. The other tracks are mostly solid late eighties rock. You could even imagine Dance Along the Edge on some movie soundtrack circa 1987. One would think John Hughes would have loved them.

As for me, I find this to be a well above average album that I like to listen to once in a while. Concrete Blonde would go on to record eight albums in total with varying results, the most successful being their next two albums, Free, and Bloodletting, both very successful commercially and critically. No more punk classics though unless you count the heavy God is a Bullet off Free.

Thanks to those who reviewed the album. Glad I found something you could really get into, SGR. I think you like the album even better than I do. (As do some others )

And my rating…

8/10 (The Word has spoken )
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote