Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Yes Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 08:01 AM   #135 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I pretty much agree with the opinions of you guys, and while the toned-down Yes-type music was playing, I focussed on the lyrics. They start out as a tolerable pastiche of J Anderson on earlier albums. To me their structure suggests Siberian Khatru (Outboard, river/Bluetail, tailfly) with a little nod to Roundabout in the choice of the word "walkabout" :-
Quote:
Starlight
Gaze out
Walkabout
International dark sky park

Desert
Twilight
Second sight
International dark sky park

Relate
Reach out
But then the words slide off into very sub-Anderson lines like:-

Quote:
When I'm in need of some perspective
I find my place in the jewelled collective

I wanna be in zero G
The singer doesn't match the power or impact of Anderson, though, and neither does the music, which in a similar way gives the impression of a group pouring over albums from 50 years ago and trying to come up with something similar. One thing they missed out, however, was the beautiful quiet bits that I love in the real Yes albums - instead the music here just keeps pushing along in its undramatic way: breathless and yet failing to escape that constrained sound which I think is the result of the over-production that some of you have mentioned. Very disappointing.