Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 08:01 AM   #82184 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

A little happy update... I needed a large-scale music project to lift my spirits this week and I'm pleased to say I've found enormous success!

In my early high school days I was a devout Frühead, that is, a fan of the regional college acapella filk group called Moxy Früvous. I still find myself singing their lighthearted and politically-themed melodies as I make my morning coffee and afternoon tea decades later.

The group disbanded back in 2000, but I discovered that The Internet Archive has, with the band's blessing, archived 73 live shows capturing the band in their prime.

So I spent an hour experimenting and researching how to automate and batch download all 73 shows from the collection on a Linux filesystem. I found an old Reddit discussion pointing to a long-retired Chrome extension, but eventually found my way to the wget command line method.

It took some trial and error, (I had to use the advanced search function on Archive.org to generate a CSV, then batch remove all quotation marks and rename it as a text file, then modify the expression to target one audio format and to run as 'sudo'), but with a bit of tinkering I got it to work!

In only a few hours' time I had the complete archive saved to my server. I'll enjoy exploring shows from my favorite college performance spaces in the days ahead!

This is just what I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote