Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 favourite Metal Sub-Genres
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #47 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Nah, i like Dimmu Borgir and thats pretty much it, most metal i like is simply limited to the first 2, pathetic i know...

I do like a little goth metal and stoner metal... So they would be 4 and 5 i reckon.

In fact, new list.

1. Thrash
2. Prog
3. Funk
4. Stoner
5. Goth
I'm not huge on black metal myself, but I do like Immortal's At the Heart of Winter album and some Arcturus. I would recommend that Immortal album - I found it well written, and it's considered to be a good intro album to black metal. And I like Dimmu Borgir - I don't care how many black metallers think they're sellouts etc. I plainly think the music is good.

And on a last black metal point, I've really been getting into Behemoth's 2004 album Demigod - it's awesomely epic death metal. I'm going to try to get into their earlier stuff which is straight black metal, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

I think the fact that you like both stoner metal and goth metal indicates to me that you would probably like doom metal as a genre (and it's quite diverse). I know what prog you like, but I don't really know what metal you're experienced with [apart from Sunn O)) ]. In fact, I thought you disliked prog metal, apart from a few bands. I do think prog rock is better.

You would probably like Katatonia, Lacrimas Profundere, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Anathema, Orodruin, Candlemass, Imperia...

Turn Loose the Swans (My Dying Bride) is an absolutely awesome album and I'd recommend it to anybody. Dance of December Souls (Katatonia) is another album you'd probably like. I apologise if you've heard these already, but I don't know if you have.