Music Banter - View Single Post - Green Day vs. Oasis
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 01:58 AM   #72 (permalink)
smilebehindemptyeyes
Groupie

Being a teenager in America when Oasis hit it "big" here, and going by what you "brits" keep saying about them, I can tell you this: Oasis had nowhere near the impact here in the states that they did "across the pond". Were they popular when they came out? sure..but no more though than any other band that came out with a hit album at the time. Hell, if i had to say so, I'd say Beck would be more influential to american rockers from that time than Oasis is here. From my point of view, and most of the people I know agree...Oasis put out one really good album..a good follow up album..and then Liam and his brother became one big running joke to us. Argue all you want about how big and influential they are over there..just remember: David Hasselhoff is big in Germany..so should we include him in this too? It's like saying: I'm big in Japan. Oasis wasn't all that influential on the "rock" scene as a whole..they may have been on thier homeland, but not here in the states. so arguing this is a moot point. it's my own fault for comparing them to nirvana i guess, but i didn't realize how big they were in England. Guess it's like how popular Local H is here in Chicago..but outside of here, not all that many know of them anymore.