Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #2276 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
So how come you brits never speak of your politics in here?
Good question. I don't actually know what the main political stories in the UK are this week. I'll go and look... (goes and looks)...

Gordon Brown has sought to establish his green credentials as he announced fuel and air duty increases in his 10th and possibly final pre-Budget report.
In some ways I really like the increases in fuel taxes that keep appearing in the UK as it discourages people from making pointless journeys and discourages the people with half a brain from buying big cars in the first place. Compared to other countries, fuel tax isn't as likely to dampen the way business, trade and travel work within Britain because the country is quite small anyway.

I think the most annoying thing about the increase in fuel taxes is that the money taken from them doesn't seem to be used to improve any of the public transport systems in any way. If you're dissuading people from driving somewhere, it's just annoying if you aren't helping them to get there in any other way.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote