Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #406 (permalink)
IamAlejo
Muck Fusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by covle
secondly while i see your point iamalejo, i do not agree. america donates money yes, and you should see what that money goes towards and have the right to withdraw your donations if it goes to an unjust means, such as another palace for the rulers or upgrading the tanks or something. but i do not believe that any nation has the right to interfere with anothers politics. "sticking your noses in it" so to speak. unless of course the obvious misuse of power conundrum card is in play. but would it not be easier to eliminate a percentage of the debt owed to your country by whoever your producing aid for rather than just build upon the interest and forcing them into further debt by giving them money?
I see what you mean...but with the money we pour into these economies, are you to say that the politics in that country do not effect the economy? I have a hard time believing that. A lot of money we use helps supporting other countries militaries. When we need help in a military event, we often ask for help from these countries. Etc, etc. While I don't think it is a "We did this for you, you are in eternal debt" deal, I do believe that a country with as large of a national debt as we have, the amount of aid we give out, we want/get something in return. The "giving aid to further them in debt" part I do not understand though. Most of the money we give out...is just that, "given out". While we ask for favors in return, we don't ask for the money in return with compounded interest.

Quote:
america was not founded on religious beliefs, mainly political and freedom reasons. one of my favourite quotes from the revolution was "patriarchial monarchy and hereditarial succession has lain the world in blood and ashes" by thomas paine, if memory serves.
I love Thomas Paine. Nice touch. On the not founded on religious beliefs, I think in a way it was. There are references from most American documents of that time dealing with God.

The Declaration of Indendence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights"...."appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions"

I don't wanna talk about Vietnam.

Quote:
oh and i blame all you darn americans for the fat kid at the end of my street. obeisity began in america, existed solely in america and has been spread by mass corporations. the end. nothing else. there was no overweight people in any country except america. disagree? well you must be fat, or the fat guys got to you first. certainly not in australia, our beloved country, hey anti poptart chik?
So should the guy who invented cars be blamed for millions of car crashes each year? Should the man who invented missiles be blamed for the death of Iraqis. Obeisity is an issue of self control. I've never seen an American have McDonald's forced down his throat. Sure, advertising, blah blah blah...yes, it is conveniant. But anyone who eats properly, has self control, excercises, etc, can become a healthy person. I'm an American. I'm 6'4, 150 pounds. So send the fat jokes my way. And I hope the "no fat people in other countries" was an exaggeration trying to make your point.