Music Banter - View Single Post - I Sin, You Sin
Thread: I Sin, You Sin
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
Kevorkian Logic
Imperfectly Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemyat_thesix View Post
lyrics don't make a genre, but genres do produce and perform styles of lyrics unique to themselves. for example, an indiepop band isn't going to sing about dismembering a prostitute, like a brutal death metal band would, nor would a metalcore band sing about things as abstract as Animal Collective does.

the subject matter does not need to be original. by that standard, all music has sucked for the past several decades, with few exceptions. everything has been written about. furthermore, lyrics do not need extensive vocabularies to be good, either. sometimes the simplest of words and the most succinct of songs are the most powerful. besides, no one wants to sing along to seven-syllable words they dont' even understand. plain and simple, this song is meant to be performed ina basement to 50 kids, by an unkempt man with an acoustic guitar. the crowd shouts along and everyone is happy. that is folk-punk
Concerning you comment about originality in todays subject matters, i'm just going to post one of my many college short-answers and hope that makes a point

I have been told that there are more way to express a single idea in English than any other language. Something is magical about the fact that I can think of at least 15 different ways off the top of my to express happiness...[stuff about why I like English and music]....Ultimately that is why I like songs and books so much. They can take cliche ideas and by using unique combinations of words, express a familiar concept in a way that opens up a world of unrealized possibilities.

But seriously, your digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole.