Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 1000 (ish)
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post

112. CURRENT 93 - SWASTIKAS FOR GODDY (1988)

In the whole time I've been on musicbanter I have only ever seen this band ever mentioned by one other person & with all the fans of folk music there is on this board I figured it was about time that more people became aware of them.

Current 93 were put together by David Tibet who had previously worked with Throbbing Gristle's Genesis P Orridge in Psychic TV , he also did the rounds for a bit with 23 Skidoo before forming Current 93 with whoever he felt like working with at that time.

Although this is folk music it's much more darker than that and there's so much more on offer. They didn't become known as the originators of 'apocalyptic folk' for nothing.
Current 93's material has a very spiritual feel topics usually range from Christianity , Buddhism , Paganism , Symbolism , Crowleyism (Which is where the band take their name).In the case of this album mostly it's paganism. It is therefore apt in a way that when Tibet delivers his lines he doesn't sound so much of a folk singer, more that a preist performing an exorcism which helps give the album an extremely rich atmosphere. With the Gregorian chants & operatics in the background in some songs mixing with old English style folk , Choirs , Spoken words and all kinds of interesting things going on in the background you can almost imagine that album being performed in the bowels of some sort of medieval castle.
This has been called by fans of the band as Current 93's 'pop album' in that it is their most accessable work and is a great introduction to the bands huge discography since their formation in the mid 80s , of which I am slowly working through.

Favourite Songs : North , Black Sun Bloody Moon , The Summer Of Love , Beausoleil
It's like a light-hearted version of the one I have,
but it still manages to be just as twisted and bizarre.

Awesome.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote