Music Banter - View Single Post - Tool - 10,000 Days
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 AM   #134 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I'll chill when you stop stating your opinions as facts. Hell, how do you even have the right to have an opinion on something like that? Who are you to say what the album was born out of? Who are you to say how long it would take to write something? I'm not even that big a Tool fan, it's just fuckin' annoying.
What do you mean, "how do I have the right to have an opinion on something like that"? It's called making inferences. It's fairly common practise. The album suggests, explicitly points even, towards a fundamental lack of ideas. This is the impression people generally get from it, that is, all but the most unrelenting of Tool fans who would refuse to accept that as even being among the range of logical possibilities. On the contrary, why should I NOT have an opinion on something like that?

That there aren't an awful lot of ideas contained within this album is nothing that strays too far beyond the realms of the obvious. As for the question of how long it would take to write, then fair enough, there's no way anybody could possibly know that. Actually, the guess I was making was an attempt to construe Maynard, Carey and the boys in a better light. I mean, it could well have taken them years to write all those tracks, but if it did then that's rather downright shameful. I'd rather hope, or like to think, that if they put their collective brains together and spent a good long time on a project they'd be able to accomplish something at least a good (if not a great) deal superior.

To Ace, on the topic of "Right In Two", my views have been summed up by other than myself here. The lyrics are at best mundane, and that they are hackneyed is beyond question. Go read a few actual BOOKS (know what they are?) on philosophy, religion, anthropology etc.. I promise you you'll never find Maynard James Keenan's lyrics profound again.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote