Music Banter - View Single Post - Tool - 10,000 Days
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #146 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Hmm. Kinda strikes me as odd, since his lyrics in A Perfect Circle while somewhat lighter, (and better), still hold his same old style.
He's also fronting the new band Puscifer, and they attempt to get even darker than Tool on some points.
I wouldn't mind seeing him branch out. Wonder why he isn't doing it.

Edit: Now that I've read the interview, it doesn't seem like he wants to branch out into indie territory.
I think the point he was trying to make, is that he just didn't want darker bands than Tool opening for them.
He'd rather have something like an indie band do it. That's the way it comes off to me, anyway.
What I was getting at is that his own musical interests span well beyond prog and metal. He has been experimenting with various styles and, well, Puscifer wouldn't even fall under Rock. He'd probably like to try all sorts of things.

The problem is that, due to industry demands, Tool have to be Tool. Working within a fairly limited framework of ideas, they did all that they could from Undertow to Lateralus; they went virtually everywhere that they were able to go within that restricted framework, while still remaining Tool through and through. This is the reality behind why this band records quite so very little: they know how easy it is for them specifically, as a band, to burn themselves out.

When the time came to record that fourth LP, they'd already mostly reached a deadend. A group in a less restricted position might have sought to reinvent themselves entirely. But Tool had little option besides pandering to the fans and making what was in the end a pretty fan-friendly record.

What I question, ultimately, is whether, given an entirely free reign with no expectations from any quarters, Tool would have made 10,000 Days. My personal point of view is that they would have tried something rather different.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote