Music Banter - View Single Post - Tool - 10,000 Days
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #150 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Hmm. That is a fair point. Unfortunately, alot of bands are restricted by their labels from going into alot of experimentation. Such restrictions hinder a band's creativity, and drives them into dead ends. It is possible they would have done slightly better, but I enjoy the album for what it is.
This may also explain why they used every little bit of album time the label would allow. Down to the last very last second.
They've practically done that on the last three albums. I was never entirely sure why they had to have them completely filled. I mean, I know how a lot of fans like to say that every single track on Aenima is vital. I guess partly what they want to do is make it as if they're creating something that goes beyond simply being an album. As in, a comprehensive work of art in sound in which every component part fills some greater purpose in contributing towards a fully coherent whole.

My view is that Tool never excelled with the soundscape tracks. It's not their specialty. They can never compete with soundscapes from real actual ambient artists. Viginti Tres for example isn't even interesting, let alone an accomplished soundscape. What it comes down to ultimately is that Tool are at their very best when doing one of two things: either building up energy within a song towards a peak, or just plain rocking out. The rest they'd be best not bothering with.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote