Music Banter - View Single Post - The British Indie Scene
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #42 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Your logic is awful because it isn't consistent. The Holloways got started in 2004 (not very new) Reverend And The Makers (2005) and other bands in this thread I won't bother with have all been around. Most bands don't pull an Arctic Monkeys and blow up soon after forming. All the 'new bands' aren't that 'new' (just going by your logic) so I really have no idea what to think of your argument. Basically you want to bitch about the current state of the radio which I don't understand because you guys don't have it that bad. I'd rather listen to the The Hoosiers and the Kooks than 50 Cent and Britney Spears.
Alright. You have a point about the "newness" of Reverend, and the Holloways, etc. Though I was using them more as an example of the type of more recent acts British indie kids in the main seem to be getting excited about these days. The mention of those bands is incidental to the point that virtually nothing good (bar a few exceptions, though I still don't know who they are) is coming out of the current wave of bands. If somebody were to counter this by brining in Reverend, The Holloways etc, then first I'd say they are cr*p, but I'd add to that that they don't really count from a temporal standpoint. Even less so, Patrick Wolf.

And believe me, we don't have the radio any better than you guys. Only difference is that perhaps one (or two?) major stations are dedicated to Adult Alternative music, and in the UK that includes all the Album Rock lamage us Brits can muster. Eh, there's also a station called XFM. Who are extremely dedicated to playing nothing but ::COUGHcommercially successful::COUGH Indie music.

My main criticism is levied a bunch of mindless kids who think they're doing something profound and fascinating by imitating the Libertines, and now all of a sudden, ripping off the Arctic Monkeys.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 01-15-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote