Music Banter - View Single Post - The British Indie Scene
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Alright. You have a point about the "newness" of Reverend, and the Holloways, etc. Though I was using them more as an example of the type of more recent acts British indie kids in the main seem to be getting excited about these days.
What bands are they? You've yet to mention any that qualify as "old" by your standards.

Quote:
The mention of those bands is incidental to the point that virtually nothing good (bar a few exceptions, though I still don't know who they are) is coming out of the current wave of bands. If somebody were to counter this by brining in Reverend, The Holloways etc, then first I'd say they are cr*p, but I'd add to that that they don't really count from a temporal standpoint. Even less so, Patrick Wolf.
You're the one who brought them up. It's pretty sad you're creating this whole argument about how awful these bands are but can't even list one.

Quote:
And believe me, we don't have the radio any better than you guys. Only difference is that perhaps one (or two?) major stations are dedicated to Adult Alternative music, and in the UK that includes all the Album Rock lamage us Brits can muster. Eh, there's also a station called XFM. Who are extremely dedicated to playing nothing but ::COUGHcommercially successful::COUGH Indie music.
It's pretty hard to gather that radio there is bad when you treat it like "british indie scene" is a synonym with "mainstream music."

Quote:
My main criticism is levied a bunch of mindless kids who think they're doing something profound and fascinating by imitating the Libertines, and now all of a sudden, ripping off the Arctic Monkeys.
And so you make a general statement about the entire indie scene bashing it when you don't know much of it? I can think of more bands from Britain doing something new than I can think of ripping off the Libertines or Arctic Monkeys.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote