Music Banter - View Single Post - The British Indie Scene
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 03:03 AM   #59 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Well I don't think it's really fair to compare anywhere to the US scene wise, like you said it's five times larger. More cities with different cultures and different scenes. I mean you have Seattle, Olympia, Bellingham and those are just in Washington. Then there's Portland and California and those are all just on the west coast. They have thriving music scenes with plenty of bands being that have made it huge in the past few years: Death Cab For Cutie, The Shins, Modest Mouse, Rilo Kiley, The Decemberists and so on. All big indie names, then you have tons of smaller bands who will no doubt be big in the future, particularly in Seattle. Sub Pop will grab them up. Like I said, that's just the west coast in the midwest you had that whole Kinsella Cap'n Jazz inspired scene and more recently Team-Love, Saddle Creek and so on with Bright Eyes, Cursive, Tilly and the Wall, The Faint, Azure Ray, etc then in the south the elephant six collective which I don't think I need to get into (thank you of Montreal) and Texas with Okkervil River, Explosions in the Sky, Spoon and so on. nd after that you still have the east coast and new york. That was alot of rambling, the point I'm trying to make I guess is the US is huge and there's no way you could only have one scene there so there's several though they all seem to focus around certain cities. Most Washington bands flock to Seattle (unless you're a punk band then its Olympia), in the south you either go to Athens or Atlanta and so on. I guess it helps that indie is really becoming hip in the US, with many thanks to the internet I imagine.

I don't think Britain is worse off than some countries music wise right now, I can't really think of many Australian acts right now who are that great, Architecture in Helsinki is really the only one that comes to mind. I just think the problem is crap like the Pigeon Detectives and The Kooks is being hyped over stuff like 65daysofstatic but that's the way the radio's always been, at least here. I guess when you had bands like The Smiths and Joy Division in the 80s and Blur and Oasis in the 90s a bunch of rubbish like Babyshambles would be disappointing.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote