Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #83 (permalink)
Frewen
Justin Broadrick Fanatic

12-14: Not really into music at this point, only the stuff in my Dad's CD collection. He only likes 'popular' music so it was stuff like The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, etc. Admittedly Wish You Were Here is still one of my favourite albums of all time. And I don't care what anyone says: Paul Simon's Graceland is a masterpiece.

15-18: Got into drum'n'bass through listening to Fabio & Grooverider's Radio 1 Show but especially into the ambient side (i.e. Good Looking Records). Then hip-hop/electronica, like DJ Shadow, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Roots Manuva, Aim, Cannibal Ox, The Roots, cLOUDDEAD, Amon Tobin, etc. I also listened to some jazz: mainly Blue Note, but also some Prestige stuff.

18: Being at uni with a few good mates from school, we pooled our music libraries, and from that I got into all sorts of guitar-based music: punk (from The Damned to Bad Religion to Millencolin), stadium rock (Def Leppard, Europe), to thrash (the big four, Testament, Sepultura). Thanks to a NME review on Interpol, I got into post-punk/goth: Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Sex Gang Children.

18-19: My fondness for Sepultura led me to look for more good metal, which led to Opeth's Blackwater Park. This opened me up to metal in general (Emperor, Dark Tranquillity, (old) Children of Bodom, Candlemass, Dream Theater, Windir, etc) and prog rock (Yes, Camel, Soft Machine, Genesis, etc)

20-now: ISIS' awesome second album, Oceanic gets me into post-rock and other associated genres; ambient, shoegaze, etc. My appreciation for Justin Broadrick's music (Napalm Death, Godflesh, Jesu) leads to Swans, Killing Joke, etc.

Now: I'm still listening to the stuff I used to, which makes it very hard to keep up with other genres/new releases/new music.