Music Banter - View Single Post - I need to buy a guitar within the next few days: Which GIBSON?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

that's a good article but i really think this quote by the interviewer says it all

Quote:
DRG: We should also point out, though, that because of these consistency issues, you can't go by any sweeping generalization or blanket statement on Les Pauls. There are years or even decades that have reputations for being fantastic or terrible. The 50s Les Pauls are supposed to be wonderful . . .

they also reinforce a point i've made in any 'help me buy a guitar thread'. go to the store - IGNORE THE NAME ON THE HEADSTOCK - and try everything until you find something that feels right to your hands and ears. if i had a $1 for every time i've posted something similar i'd have my own vintage LP by now hehe

i really don't think the issue is specific to gibson guitars either. the guys in the interview were obvious dyed in the wool classic-rock heads. which is fine. they knew what they were looking for in terms of tone. it's a common mistake a lot of novices make, they go for the name expecting it to have quality on par with their influences, which is rarely the case.

i also really like the idea of trying out the guitar acoustically before plugging it in. with enough pedals you can make a shoelace strung over a cardboard box with a bottle cap pickup fart out the riff to smoke on the water and make it sound right, but it's hardly a good instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote