Music Banter - View Single Post - It’s Coming To Take You Away: Magical Mystery Tour
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

I don't want to be anal, but I have to point out that this was not a Beatles "album" at all. The track listing given here was a long play compilation. Magical Mystery Tour started off as a double EP released in 1967, that consisted of the music from the soundtrack of the same-titled film. The track listing of this double 4-sided EP was, in order:

1 Magical Mystery Tour
2 Your Mother Should Know
3 I Am the Walrus
4 The Fool on the Hill
5 Flying
6 Blue Jay Way

Now, since the EPs never really sold well in the USA, for the American release Capitol records themselves turned it into an LP. In order to accomplish this, they placed the content of the Magical Mystery Tour EP on Side 1 (albeit with the songs in a new order), and then cleverly filled up Side 2 with the band's non-album singles and one B-side (Baby You're A Rich Man) of 1967. This yielded the LP version of Magical Mystery Tour with the track listing provided in the opening post. Incidentally this LP was never released in the UK until the late 70s.

So yeah, it was not a Beatles studio album at all and shouldn't be seen as one. Rather, the LP was a compilation made outside of the Beatles' guidance. I think it is important that this is understood, since this LP is an incoherent, makeshift, patch-up job. That's not to say the songs aren't great - they are - they just don't belong together on any Beatles-conceived studio album. So this record should not be viewed in the same light as Revolver --> Abbey Road, neither should it be compared with any of those albums.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 04-18-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote