Music Banter - View Single Post - What type of music fan is the worst?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #56 (permalink)
ProggyMan
Reformed Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
It’s not laughable in and of itself. It only becomes laughable once they start claiming that it’s somehow better art to something else that actually is original, but just happens not to be at all “progressive”. It’s that, to be honest, which I find irritating: valuing all music based merely on its compositional sophistication, even if it contains no new ideas. There’s more to art than that, and such attitudes just seem to miss the point. Those people, while they have all the right to like one type of music more than another, are totally wrong to scorn other genres, and so baselessly too.

Well, they still took those ideas and applied their own personality to them, fashioning out of them something that was quite idiosyncratically “Nirvana”… and of course Kurt was a better melodist than all the others. But point taken, and I agree with your general gist: it’s alright to like a band for their sound, and from a personal standpoint that is ultimately all that matters, beyond a doubt. It’s when people start getting evangelical about it that the trouble starts.
Like boo boo said, Prog is not progressive in the sense of originality/innovation, it might have been originally, but I think that at the moment Prog means progression inside of a song itself. The majority of prog is based around some sort of progression inside of a song.
ProggyMan is offline   Reply With Quote