Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Per Year
Thread: Top 10 Per Year
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #64 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

1. Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton "Knives Don't Have Your Back (2006)"

"When I was a little kid…I would creep downstairs to the piano and write rudimentary songs about imaginary places. I’m told the first song I ever wrote was a love song to a cranberry tree. I always used the mute pedal. I hated the idea of anybody hearing me. Everywhere I’ve lived while working with Metric, I’ve written songs on the piano and played them for no one. On the advice of a friend, I decided I’d better start recording them before they were forgotten. Four meandering years later I ended up with this collection of songs featuring a few of my favorite people, a group I call The Soft Skeleton."
Emily Haines's side project, which is primarily a solo project is (in my opinion) much better than Metric. The songs have a very soulful feel to them, dealing with loneliness, drugs and sexual suicide this release is enchanting. She's been compared to Ben Folds but she's more like Nick Drake with a piano and with a whispery voice akin to Elliott Smith. The mood of these songs is kind of a drink in the hand, sitting in the dark contemplative sort of mood. While in the corner a somber voice belts out lines like "Cursed with a love that you can't express / It's not for a fuck, or a kiss / Rather give the world away than wake up lonely."
Favorite Song: Crowd Surf Off A Cliff

MySpace.com - Emily Haines - CA - Black Metal - www.myspace.com/emilyhaines
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote