Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #90 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Default Evolution of your tastes.

Talk about the evolution of your taste. How much has your taste in music changed over the years?

The various stages of my music taste.

Early childhood: Since I was raised by my grandma, 50s rock n roll, R&B and country, thats all I was exposed to so I had grown to like it.

12: Pop and boy bands. I was really into the Spice Girls and watched Spice World god knows how many times. Only lasted about a month, I was sensible enough to grow out of it really quickly.

12-13: Fearing I was turning into a homosexual. My stepdad exposed me to a lot of c0ck rock to get some testosterone pumping, Van Halen, GnR, AC/DC, it really did the trick. I never really grew out of that kinda music, I still enjoy it today.

13-16: Pop punk/Nu metal/Post Grunge/Mainstream rap. If it was being played on MTV or Fuse, I probably liked it. I loved Limp Bizkit, Korn and Kid Rock. All that crap. The Offspring used to be my favorite band during this period.

16-17: I got into classic rock. Was really getting into Hendrix, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Who and eventually The Beatles. I started getting into stuff like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Tool and Radiohead around the same time.

18: Ah yes, the age I became a proggie. It started when I discovered bands like Yes, King Crimson and ELP on sirius radio. I remember buying The Ultimate Yes compilation at a hastings record store and thats what turned me into a Yes fan, and it was Yes that got me interested in progressive rock.

19-Currently: I started getting into jazz, punk, electronic, hip hop, metal, 60s psychedelic rock, classical music, world music, everything. Stuff that was recommended to me by total strangers on the internet. And I got very into alternative rock, stuff like Sonic Youth, Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, etc. And I'm still discovering new stuff. I realised that just about every genre has something to offer. I think my taste right now is pretty diverse and open.

My taste right now is stil evolving, but only because I find more stuff to like, I don't really grow out of anything, If I loved it 5 years ago, I still love it now.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 05-19-2008 at 11:49 PM.