Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #96 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

I grew up listening to the music my parents listened to. From my mom, I got Genesis, Rick Astley (used to be totally in love with him!), a lot of poppy, adult contemporary stuff. From my dad, I got bands like Van Halen, YES, Aerosmith, Steel y Dan, and U2. And from both I got a taste for R&B, blues and other stuff, like B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Manhattan Transfer. Most of the music I was introduced to by my parents (especially the blues) has stuck with me until today.

When I hit 10-11 (1991), I was into the same stuff all the other little girls my age were…New Kids on the Block.

As I got a little older, I began to like more dance stuff, like Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, Prince, and the like. I also started to get into New Order and the Cure a little.

It wasn’t until high school that I really started to get into rock a lot more. I was in love with Metallica, Orgy, Prodigy, Type O Negative, and some others I can’t quite think of now.

I was always kind of into the more “classic” rock bands like AC/DC and Black Sabbath, but I think I appreciate them a lot more now. My husband’s really into these bands, as well as old Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth, so it has had some influence. He also got me into Modest Mouse (as odd as that may sound). So, at the ripe old age of 28, I like mostly rock and not-so-heavy metal, but I’m more open to broadening out musically. I’m trying to like these indie bands everyone talks about on here, but it’s really hard for me to get into some of them. Alot of them are too, too slow and mellow for me to listen to long enough without getting distracted. I’m really getting into folk-y music though, and I really like bands with lead singers that have that not-quite-perfect voice, because it makes the music that much more interesting.

One type of music that I just cannot listen to is techno music. I mean, I appreciate that any music takes time and effort to make, but can we get a little more repetition here?? It’s just too much. And this Kenny G jazz stuff…can’t do that either.