Music Banter - View Single Post - The Case For/ The Case Against..
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #79 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

The one i've been waiting for.

Case For

Right, some points. This is the album from one of the bands in the first wave of British punk. They'd just come off Give Em' Enough Rope which alienated many of their fans and was overall fairly uninspired. The two main members had a relationship which could bust at any point and the drummer was on drugs half the time. This is the time they decide a double album is their best bet. If you were there at the time, you'd have thought this was a silly idea.

And then they write this. One of my main points is that it is a double album. 19 tracks, and every one is absolutely brilliant. Even when the tempo does drop, it's for a song that's inspired and often gorgeous. It flows just right, even between the rockers and the slower ones. Considering it's 2 vinyl's worth of material this is the best album of it's kind.

Another point, look at what they play. Rock, Ska, Reggae, Rockabilly, Piano-led ballads, and that's probably just scratching the surface. There's something for everyone, i bet. The sheer amount of stuff that they tried to do, and succeeded with, is just amazing, considering Paul Simonon for example could barely play bass when they started out. Then he contributes Guns Of Brixton!
Mick Jones and Joe Strummer are as brilliant as ever, Mick controlling the show and Joe writing some brilliant lyrics (the amount of times i've seen people quote Death Or Glory...).

And it's a lovely front cover. Yeah, i like this album.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote