Music Banter - View Single Post - How much has your music taste changed over the years?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #114 (permalink)
variatingmule
Music Addict

They keep evolving all the time. My earliest recollection of enjoying music, besides kiddy stuff is my my mom's Beatles's albums, my big brother making my mom angry because he showed me and made me listen to Twisted Sisters Stay Hungry (I was 4 or 5), me making my neat freak sister angry for taking her best of the Beach Boys, and receiving a lot classical music cassettes. My parents very much approved of Classical, so I got a lot of those as a kid, and liked it, yet I was really into oldie 50s and 60s music at the same time.

I know I got into Queen very early, and I have maintained that obsession throughout my life. I got into 90s alt when it was popular, with The Smashing Pumpkins, REM, The Barenaked Ladies and Nirvana being my faves in early high school, but then I got into Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, which totally opened the indie door for me. Yet I got into U2 as well then. And I have to say that U2 is the only band that I have stopped liking with the years. In the recent years, the bands or artists I have gotten into were mostly psychedelic, indie, and I must say that strong guitar (Cream, Lynyrd Skynyrd) or deep voices (Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen) have been my main interests. I recently enough got into folk music (Dylan, Lightfoot, etc), and despite myself have even started liking blues and bluegrass, and I assume that both of these were natural extensions of liking indier bands.

I think my tastes have more "developped" than "changed".

Scratch that... I bought a couple of Latin albums when it was the rage, something I totally regret now.