Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #71 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Are you for cereal?

Just because the Raconteurs draw heavily from blues rock legends like Led Zeppelin doesn't make them utter trash. Anyways, it's preferable to the huge alternative rock sweep that goes across the radiowaves nowadays.

And I'm gonna repeat: it was never about the simplicity of their music that makes The White Stripes overrated. It's about the terrible rhythm section - if you wanna call it "rawness" so be it but it doesn't make Meg White any better at the drums. I'm all for keeping music simple and not overengineering the sound, but I can't tolerate listening to consistently trashy drums on EVERY SINGLE ALBUM. She sounds no better on Icky Thump than their s/t, when it was her first experience on drums.

They are overrated because people confuse her poor rhythm skills for simplicity. Simplicity I can deal with. But Meg White - Meg simply sounds like a child who got hold of her mother's kitchen utensils. And no matter what, you can't deny what a burden it is to listen to someone that bad on drums for as long as The White Stripes have been popular.
Or is it really that you are confusing her simplicity for poor rhythm skills? The argument can go both ways. However, I see it as her simplicity exists out of a lack of formal teaching. She knows what she can and can't do. So does Jack. She doesn't try to to anything she can't.

And... yes I -can- deny that because I have been listening to The White Stripes since they have been popular, and before they were popular... not only can I bear it, but it is something that I enjoy.