Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #80 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Garth Brooks

14. Garth Brooks

Most Overrated Album: Sevens
Most Overrated song: Two Pina Coladas

So as I figured and has been confirmed, those of you in the UK can tune out, for the rest of us, remember how effing huge this guy was circa 1992-1994. Garth Brooks at one point had a #1 record that outside all nine of the remaining top 10 combined. Not on the country charts, on the billboard pop charts. He was even #1 in the UK Country charts (they have those) And this was not undeserved, his first five albums are very good, and I am not a big country music fan at all. Here's the problem, somewhere around 1995 when he was swinging into the audience on a rope while performing live in prime time on national TV a concert in Central Park, he must have hit his head or something.

His next album, "Fresh Horses" was by his standards a flop. It was the first album not to top the pop charts since "No Fences" just 18 months into his career. My wife having been a fan bought, I bought her the album, and we both reacted the same way, kind of like okay wheres the rest. Then came "Sevens" which was hyped as a great comeback album and it was commercially. It was again the #1 record in the US regardless of genre. But the content is exactly the type of thing that turns mainstream music fans off to country music. Mindless twang in a predictable petty circle. Rock bottom right? Not even close.............Enter Chris Gaines...Brooks takes on the persona of "Gaines" and releases an Alternative Rock album. No I am not making this up. Now this could be daring or creative or well at least interesting except here's the catch. It's not Brooks idea, it's for a movie (that never happened) and he doesn't write the songs (he typically co-wrote his country songs), and it's obvious. It's so lame I cringe when i hear it.

So the album bombs and Brooks left turn lovin' fans are confused, where'd our Garth go? Then he makes an announcement, times are tough and when the going gets tough the tough...retire? Well that's what he did. No more music he said, and he meant it, well except the part where he made another horrible record that was so Country it came with a straw hat and blue jeans and capitalized on the millions it rained down on him. A very wise person who once slept on my couch for a couple weeks told me something very profound "It takes balls to play music" he said, Garth for all your failings, more then any it's your lack of balls that get you ranked as the 14th most overrated artist in music history.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote