Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #123 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
He is one of the greatest lyricist of all time, plays a great guitar (and harmonica ), his attitude and vocal style. His musical style wouldn't make you want to get up and dance or air guitar like a retard, but it would reach you on a more deeper and soulful way. Get rid of the stupid norms of 'regular' singing and songwriting and immerse yourself in his music and try to feel what he is saying and it will touch you like few other musicians have.

(Kinda reminds me of Syd when I talk about this )
I love Bob Dylan, I enjoy the way he plays but Bob Dylan is not a great Guitar player, and not even a good harmonica player. He gets the job done, it all fits and there is no denying the lyrics or the power his music had on people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Phoenix View Post
Well, lets see. A "legend" doesnt blow his brains out b/c he feels "misunderstood", and cannot accept how enormous he became? That doesn't make you a "legend", an "Idiot" maybe... but not a "legend". Besides, Ive heard all 4 of their albums. other than In Utero, the rest are ok, Lithium stunk, their box set? just a way for Courtney Love to whore out the band, so she can make $$$. Just my opinion.

Buddy Holly got killed in a plane wreck @ 27, and he's no more a "legend", than Kurt was/is.
The first thing you need to understand is that no one blows their brains out because they "feel misunderstood" that's like saying someone dies from sneezing. It's a symptom, Cobain was suffering from a disease and not being treated. He was an addict, his addiction caused severe depression, distortion of reality and ultimately his death. To chalk it up to merely a bad or cowardly decision shows a gross misunderstanding of his condition.

I tend to agree with your opinion on their musical catalog, I like In Utero is a very good album and Nevermind is above average, but I tend to think the circumstances of Cobain's death have elevated the band's status. Much like the status of Hendrix, Joplin, The Doors, Tu-Pac and others who meet unfortunate and untimely ends.

Second Buddy Holly was like 20 when he died, maybe a bit older but nowhere near 27.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeLittleHobbit View Post
I believe Aerosmith were quite talented songwriters.
I would say Aerosmith are clever songwriters and talented sure, but I don't know that they wrote too many great songs. A lot of music I like but tire of quickly. What would you say to that?
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote