Music Banter - View Single Post - VH1 Rock Honors Concert -July 17-
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
DJ Phoenix
Music Addict

I hate this one, and I hated last years, why? VH-1 feels this strange need to get ****ty hosts who know NOTHING about music, or the artists to host them. Jamie Pressley totally ruined the one last year for me(or was that the '06 one? which one did they honor KISS @?), she kept rambling on and on, and cut Gene off and has this strange drawl I didn't like & she does nothing for me & had no business "hosting" the show. I also didnt like alot of the current bands paying homage to them. I know this may seem a bit minor to some here, but alot of those bands have no idea who any of these artists are, and dont do their renditions, or "covers" of the songs justice. Plus, I dont want to see a so called "punk" band doing anything by someone, when they're not even "punk" to begin with.

Furthermore, (and this is what sticks in my craw even moreso than that other stuff) VH-1 doesn't play MUSIC on their channel anymore...it's all about the latest and greatest reality shows, just like MTV, which has lost all credibility w/me.

I wouldn't mind them, and would appreciate them more, if they did them right. Here's a few things they can do to make them kick ass:

1) Bring out a legendary radio DJ, or someone like that to "host" the show, and/or talk about them. Maybe Ricky Rachtmen for the heavy/hair metal bands or something?

2) Get CREDIBLE bands to play the honorees jams, not alot of garbage bands no one gives 2 ****s about. Get bands/people who actually enjoy the honorees music, not some band/singer who doesnt want to be there, and only claims to like so and so, b/c it might help his/hers/their album sales.

3) Announce when tickets are on sale, and dont overprice them so that more people can go. The one w/KISS? I had no idea about until I saw the show, weird. No real mention of it anywhere.

4) Have maybe some interviews w/fans, or the bands/singers there as to what the nights honorees meant to them? Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop putting bands on that dont look like they wanna be there? this ruins the vibe for me, and others.

5) Have credible and FACTUAL info on the show when talking about or honoring these guys. Jamie Pressley screwed this up on the one she hosted, I wanted to smack her. They're a music station(or used to be), they can't look stuff up?

FWIW, this is just MY opinion.

What I DID like about it: The Foo Fighters appearance/performance. That was it.

Last edited by DJ Phoenix; 07-21-2008 at 01:22 AM.
DJ Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote