Music Banter - View Single Post - VH1 Rock Honors Concert -July 17-
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Phoenix View Post
I hate this one, and I hated last years, why? VH-1 feels this strange need to get ****ty hosts who know NOTHING about music, or the artists to host them.
Who cares who the freaking hosts are? And who says actors can't like music?

Quote:
Jamie Pressley totally ruined the one last year for me(or was that the '06 one? which one did they honor KISS @?), she kept rambling on and on, and cut Gene off and has this strange drawl I didn't like & she does nothing for me & had no business "hosting" the show.
Anyone who cuts off Gene Simmons is a hero as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
I also didnt like alot of the current bands paying homage to them. I know this may seem a bit minor to some here, but alot of those bands have no idea who any of these artists are, and dont do their renditions, or "covers" of the songs justice. Plus, I dont want to see a so called "punk" band doing anything by someone, when they're not even "punk" to begin with
Oh great, I take it you're another classic rock guy who thinks the last great rock band was Night Ranger.

Quote:
Furthermore, (and this is what sticks in my craw even moreso than that other stuff) VH-1 doesn't play MUSIC on their channel anymore...it's all about the latest and greatest reality shows, just like MTV, which has lost all credibility w/me.
Actually you're incorrect. They play at least 10 hours of music programing a day, usually late in the night and early in the morning. Not particularly much good music, but thats not the point, they haven't gone completely music free like MTV, not yet.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind them, and would appreciate them more, if they did them right. Here's a few things they can do to make them kick ass:

1) Bring out a legendary radio DJ, or someone like that to "host" the show, and/or talk about them. Maybe Ricky Rachtmen for the heavy/hair metal bands or something?
Not a bad idea.

Quote:
2) Get CREDIBLE bands to play the honorees jams, not alot of garbage bands no one gives 2 ****s about. Get bands/people who actually enjoy the honorees music, not some band/singer who doesnt want to be there, and only claims to like so and so, b/c it might help his/hers/their album sales.
I take it you haven't actually watched this. Flaming Lips are one of the best modern bands today and they gave an amazing performance, and though Pearl Jam may not be liked by everyone, they have a strong following and were known to be huge Who fans since the very beginning. Incubus are a very underrated band, and they gave pretty faithful if not particularly exciting covers of I Can See for Miles and I Can't Explain, they didn't butcher them at least. And Tenacious D, well if you don't like them then you just suck.

Seriously this was a good show. I think you're being incredibly discriminating. It was a great lineup. Flaming Lips, Pearl Jam and Incubus are all great. It's ok if you don't care for these bands but don't call them untalented or non-credible.

And I can really feel a real condecending air about you, like you're probably gonna talk down to anyone that challenges your statements and assume they're 12 year olds that listen to KoRn all day because they don't appreciate the greatness of Foreigner.

Quote:
3) Announce when tickets are on sale, and dont overprice them so that more people can go. The one w/KISS? I had no idea about until I saw the show, weird. No real mention of it anywhere.
Because no one cares about KISS anymore except all the middle aged rednecks that are willing to pay hideous amounts of money to see a band play the only 12 decent songs they have ever done?

Quote:
4) Have maybe some interviews w/fans, or the bands/singers there as to what the nights honorees meant to them? Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop putting bands on that dont look like they wanna be there? this ruins the vibe for me, and others.
So you measure a bands credibility by how much they smile? You must be a huge hair metal fan.

Quote:
5) Have credible and FACTUAL info on the show when talking about or honoring these guys. Jamie Pressley screwed this up on the one she hosted, I wanted to smack her. They're a music station(or used to be), they can't look stuff up?
Again you're talking about previous shows. Talk about the one about The Who and if you haven't seen it then why are you even ranting?

Quote:
What I DID like about it: The Foo Fighters appearance/performance. That was it.
So you DID see it and you only like the worst band of the whole bunch?

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote