Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #147 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Oh c'mon now, I agree that Pet Sounds is a bit overrated, but it's still a great album and Brian Wilson was one of the best melodicists around.
Compared to whom? Ringo Starr?

Quote:
Not liking them is one thing but calling them talentless is just plain wrong,
I apologize for bringing my personal feelings into this. After spending a few hours reviewing their talents, I have objectively concluded that The Beach Boys were indeed a steaming pile of shit.

Quote:
their vocal harmonies were brilliant and just because Carl Wilson was no Jimmy Page and Dennis was no Bonzo dosen't make them horrible musicians either.
I must apologize again. I called Carl and Dennis horrible musicians, but...where's the music to show they were ever musicians? Carl's EXTEMELY limited skills on guitar allowed him to play a few scales, while Dennis was absent or nearly so from most of their recordings. But I have to give them credit. The Beach Boys realized a LONG time before The Monkees did the wonders of session musicians.

Quote:
Brian Wilson is a favorite songwriter of mine. The post Brian stuff IS pretty horrible though.
And the post-Beach Boys Brian Wilson equally so. I implore you not to romanticize about Brian's insanity as evidence of his creative expression (a la Syd Barrett). The bird flew a LONG time before Smile was written.